During a large-scale natural or man-made disaster, we cannot expect to depend on emergency services or the government; all resources will be stretched to their limit. Our neighbors and friends will also be busy trying to save their own families and property. It may be several days or even weeks before help comes so we must plan to help ourselves until the crisis passes.
However, helping yourself doesn’t mean isolating yourself. Depending on the scale of the disaster, we may also need to help with rebuilding our community. Connect with others in the Prepare Manila Facebook Group. Join the discussion about building a more resilient Manila by preparing our own households.
Emergency preparedness begins at home
We hear that Manila is not prepared to handle a major disaster but there are many things we can do to minimize the impact to your own household. Preparedness begins at home and preparing Manila means ensuring that enough families take simple steps to look after themselves.
Educate yourself about emergency preparedness
- Find out what to do in an emergency
- Read articles and monitor the news
- Download guides and manuals
Prepare your family for emergencies
- Make a family emergency plan
- Assemble a household emergency kit
Inform others about preparedness
- Educate your family and friends about being prepared for emergencies and disasters
- Connect with others and help build a more resilient Metro Manila
Remember: you can avoid disasters by preparing for emergencies.
What to do in an emergency
- Typhoons and storms
- More to follow
Here are some preparedness resources and guides from around the web that may help you during an emergency or disaster event. If the external website is down, click the mirror link to download a copy archived on the Prepare Manila.
Emergency Plan for iPhone, an iOS app version of a paper-based emergency plan card. Create a preparedness plan for your household or workplace.
A list of other emergency apps can be found on the sites below.
- techconnectph.com: Useful Android Apps for Filipinos During Disasters or Calamities
- Mac Life: 10 Handy iPhone Apps for Emergency Scenarios
- AppAdvice: Apps For Emergencies
- Prepared Housewives: 50 Emergency Apps: Turn Your Phone into a Life-Saving Device!